Saturday, January 27, 2007

Talk is not free

Well... if 'talk is free', I wouldn't even need a blog in the first place. I could just tell anyone about what i think or how i feel. I could just go around saying anything i like.

But I can't. so here i am sitting in front of my laptop typing away... something I never thought I will ever do.

Now i realise that talking isn't exactly 'free'. so many restrictions come with it. No wonder so many people refrain from speaking out. Everyone impose their own restrictions on themselves. For me, I'm starting to be afraid that what I think and say might be overly exasperating for others. Not that I think deeply or profoundly. In fact, I'm beginning to feel the shallowness of my thoughts and the lack of knowledge about anything.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" ~ Socrates

That is so true.

Yet, there are many people who go about their lives knowing this fact and doing nothing. And there are others who go about their lives thinking they know everything there is to life. To such people, my questions irritate the hell out of them. I do not want to be a nuisance to others. Perhaps thats why I don't talk about such thoughts to most people around me. Perhaps when I've found answers to my thoughts will I be able to share them more freely. People don't like questions, they want answers.

Talk is not free. I have no answers for you as yet but tons of questions waiting to be answered.

P.S. Thanks to Ivy for recommending 'Sophie's World'. It has been a really great mind opener.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Talk is still free, as long as you dont seek recognition for what you say. As long as it doesnt come bite you in your arse.Talk is free for all who feels free to talk. Blog is an existance for that purpose for some. But why do we want talk to be cheap/talk to be free concept.Taking MJ song "Bad"lyrics ..your talk is cheap means that when someone talk is free and cheap, its not valuable and worthless and not trust worthy. You sure you want your talk to be free....?

JJ said...

Yes you are certainly right. i dont want talk to be free nor cheap. talking comes with a cost. and one must be responsible for everything one says or writes for the saying/writing to be worth reading, and regarded for its worth